Some of my better ideas in teaching are ones I’ve come up with spontaneously. Today was a day like that. I was teaching my college level Introduction to Theatre students some basic textual analysis skills– choosing objectives being a major discussion point. I make an effort in all my teaching to mix up groupings of students whenever possible, and today after modeling choosing objectives for one of Beneatha’s monologues from A Raisin in the Sun, I split the group up into the men and the women. The men worked on one of Rafe’s monologues from Windshook and the women worked on one of Lily Dale’s monologues from Lily Dale from The Orphans Home Cycle. They had to collaborate to reach a consensus about where they thought each beat in the text was located and on a strong objective for each one. After they did this, an idea came to me, mainly out of an interest to involve as many students as possible in the performing of the monologues at the end, rather than to just have one group member present to the class. I asked each student to take a different beat and perform their section with that objective in mind. So we had 5 Lily Dale’s in a line, each taking their turn to present the collective work of the group. I found it so effective in that the students weren’t pressured to perform all the hills and valleys of the piece, but just to focus in on the notion of a single objective. It kind of exaggerated the notion that each beat is a unit unto itself. Plus it was super-theatrical having 5 people all performing as the same person (definitely want to explore that for directing possibilities some day)… Most of all the structure of the activity required cooperative work and a sense of “product” beyond the heavy process-feeling of studying textual analysis.
Another activity I did recently was to have students create one or two person tableaux demonstrating character who has a particular objective. I find new actors often take a while getting their minds around what an objective is and is not, and just brainstorming potential objectives that could fit any character– and then exploring it from a nonverbal angle seems to help with that a lot.